Did you know that an Epi-Pen can be used through clothing? Even jeans! Learn how to use one properly with Kirk Wong, a pharmacist at Hamilton General Hospital’s Hamilton General Drugstore.
To use an Epi-Pen on yourself…
- Hold the pen in a fist with the blue end facing up to the sky.
- Pull of the blue cap.
- If the window on the side of the pen is clear, it’s ready to use.
- Swing your hand back and push the pen into your thigh.
- When you hear a click, hold the pen for five seconds.
On someone else…
- Have them sit down and kneel beside them.
- Complete steps 1-5 from the above list, pushing the pen into their thigh.
After using an Epi-Pen, always call 9-1-1 or go directly to your closest emergency department.